Monday, January 26, 2009

Some Sunshine

I awoke hanging in a tree; my tattered parachute hung limply in a nearby tree. It was the leaves that woke me. My skin quickly informed me there was not a trace of wind in the morning air. Yet, it was the leaves clangor that had apparently woken the dead. I looked at a bunch of them, like you do when you're looking past something, but you keep a mind's eye out for them. They were trembling, no dancing in the glorious light of the sun. That was what it was. The leaves were belting out a rocking gospel hymn to the light of the sun. I found myself suspended in a vibrating bowl of praises to the light.

I saw the leaves sucking in the light and singing like the ocean who sends in waves to meet the shore while it made life. I saw light bouncing back from the leaves of this old Delaware 'English Chestnut' surviver dance to some ancient African drum song. I felt my own exposed skin sing, joyfully, “You came back for me! You came back for me!”
And I knew that it always would. I looked back to my parachute and saw it's mathematical energy transfer co-efficients altering it's integrity. I took out my knife; cut myself free, and free fell the short distance to the ground.

My fall broke the soil. The scent of fresh, healthy, happy earth took my breath away, momentarily. When I could breath again, I reached into the rare dirt with both hands and grabbed fistfuls of it and brought them to my nose, where I breathed in deeply. “Alive, Alive,” screamed everything that the sun touched. I took that knife and cut off my clothes. I let it fall along with pile of protection. With every cell of my skin, I danced along to the leaves' African drum song, and I rolled with the magic incarnations of photosynthesis. Every shadow on my skin was a nude awakening, every bright spot a spontaneous eruption of joy.

But my bare feet are tender. And soon their discomfort broke my light induced trance and I got to thinking about the real world. I might be suffering from slight hypothermia, and or shock. But worse than that, far worse by far, there are over a dozen people,frantically fearing for me long, before I woke up. I reached down, gathered up my clothes and knife. After my shoes were laced, I checked the sun's angle and position in the sky, checked the tree for moss, composed a loose map of the area from memory and educated calculations on wind speed and direction during my fall and headed out.

I put my hat on to guard against the sun.  

1 comment: